January 8, 2018

10 Encouraging Things To Say To Your Stressed-Out Teen


A few months ago, I shared a post about things to say to your kids when they're having a bad day.

Then a couple weeks ago, I got the following text from my college-freshman daughter: "I'm so alone. I'm so stressed out. I think it was a mistake to come here." 

Which inspired me to tweak my bad-day list a littl
e and share it over on Grown & Flown. If you have a teen (or a tween-going-on-a-teen) or might have one someday or know someone who does have one right now, maybe this list will give you a few alternatives to the standard "it will be okay."

Because while it probably will be okay, getting from here to there can be a rough road, and sometimes it's nice to have a few extra encouraging words for the journey.




**This post may have been shared at some of these link parties.**


2 comments:

  1. So...did she get the shoes -- and were they fabulous?! ;) You're such a good mom. I'm so proud of you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee...Lisa, YOU are so fabulous. Thank you for your precious, kind words. YES, she got the shoes...little black shoe boots that look fantastic with everything and have grippy soles and keep her feet warm and dry. Anna loves them, too; in fact, Lydia is such a good big sister that she let Anna wear them before she herself had even worn them! But now, there is a problem: Lydia is moving on-campus second semester, and those shoe boots are going with her. Looks like I'd better get Anna her own pair. Hope they're on clearance now! ;) xoxo

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!