March 16, 2016

National Chocolate Chip Cookie Week: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter CCCs


It's Day 3 of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Week, and I think it's time we crossed over to the dark side. 

We started with the classics. We threw in some white chocolate. Now we're getting serious with one of my family's favorite CCC incarnations: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter.

What with all the flavonoids and antioxidants in the cocoa and the protein from the peanut butter, we count these as health food in our house. (Yes, we're that kind of family.)

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies {print}
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Hershey's Special Dark
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup peanut butter baking chips (I use Reese's)
1 cup chopped peanut butter cups (I use Reese's dark chocolate miniatures)

Beat the butter for a minute or so by hand or (even better) with an electric mixer. Dump in both sugars and beat another minute or so until light and fluffy. Beat in the oil, vanilla, corn syrup (which will slide right out of the tablespoon if you measured the oil first), and egg. Beat just until incorporated. Beat in the cocoa powder carefully so you don't end up with a cocoa cloud all over your kitchen. Whisk together the remaining dry ingredients (flour-salt) and dump on top of flour mixture. Beat in just until incorporated. Gently fold in the peanut butter chips and chopped peanut butter cups.

Cover and chill the dough for about 15 minutes while you preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Also, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Roll dough (about 1-2 tablespoon portions) into balls and place on cookie sheet, about 9-12 to a sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 6-7 minutes, or until just starting to crack at the edges. Remove from oven and cool on the sheet for 2 minutes. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely if you're storing them (in an airtight container, please). I maintain that most homemade cookies are not worth eating after about 1 day of storage at room temperature, so if you want to keep these longer, I'd throw them in the freezer.

I'm so glad you're here. Up tomorrow: a little something for my gluten-free friends.



Other stuff you might want to know about:
Day 1 in this series: Classic CCCs
Day 2 in this series: White Chocolate Pretzel CCCs
This post may have been shared at these bloggy bashes.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, if only I had some of these right now...the midwife did tell me to take care of myself and eat plenty of chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my sweet friend: if only I could bake a fresh batch and drop them off to you right now. How I wish I could...but how I wish I didn't need to. You know. Sending prayers instead...

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!